What Is Faith?

Hebrews 11:1
"It is the confident assurance that what we hope for is going to happen. It is the evidence of things we cannot yet see." - NLT

Friday, November 11, 2011

Dying with the most toys

I was listening to "American Dream" by the Casting Crowns today when the following lyrics struck a heart cord with me:

"He used to say, 'Whoever dies with the most toys wins'
But if he loses his soul, what has he gained in the end
I'll take a shack on the rock
Over a castle in the sand
Now he works all day and cries alone at night
It's not getting any better
Looks like he's running out of time
'Cause he worked and he built with his own two hands
And he poured all he had in a castle made with sand"

How many times have I thought about the material things I want or thought I needed in life. I can remember when everything revolved around obtaining the home, having a car, needing the latest phone or gadget. Working late, being gone from home all the time for my job just to provide for the family........but as the song says, I was building my home in the sand. Realizing that I began to lose my focus on How great and beautiful my God is and the gifts he has given me. My family is only temporary, opportunities to share Gods love, being an example of Gods grace, moments in time that are more precious than any material item I could ever possess.

I relish on the lyric "I'll take a shack on the rock Over a castle in the sand" if living in a shack means having time for my Lord, my family, and the company of friends, I would gladly take it. Time is short, I must remember to live in the now, not in guilt over my past or worry over the future. I have given my past to God, I must do the same for my future, and enjoy this life and the people he has graciously placed in my path.

Thank you Lord, for the reminder - AZ

No comments:

Post a Comment